Thought for the Day: Blessed are they who keep his statutes and seek him with all their heart. (Psalm 119:2)
When my mother was visiting from California one October, she discovered the remains of a bushel of apples stashed in the corner of the kitchen. My Grandson, Corey, and I had picked the apples, and made pies and applesauce until we didn't want to look at another piece of fruit! I was so successful in putting them out of my mind, I forgot they were there.
Mom decided the apples needed to be peeled, sliced and frozen, so, with a sigh, I at the table to undertake this task with her. My daughter came in and wanted to go shopping, but Mom said, "We'll go later, Kathy wants these apples done, now."
I looked up in surprise, thinking "I wanted these done?" No, I hadn't wanted them done, it had not been important to me.
How often have I chosen to do something, attributing it to God's will or God's leading, but forgot to check with Him first. How many times has God looked up in surprise at my declaration, "God wants me to do this." I can almost hear Him chuckling softly and saying, "I do?!"
Dear Lord, I am always forgetting that You alone are in charge, that you alone have the plan for my life, show me now the task you want completed, and chase the thoughts of selfish motives from my mind, in Jesus name, Amen.
2. Then David the king stood up upon his feet, and said, Hear me, my brethren, and my people: as for me, it was in my heart to build a house of rest for the ark of the covenant of Jehovah, and for the footstool of our God; and I had made ready for the building.
3. But God said unto me, Thou shalt not build a house for my name, because thou art a man of war, and hast shed blood.
4. Howbeit Jehovah, the God of Israel, chose me out of all the house of my father to be king over Israel for ever: for he hath chosen Judah to be prince; and in the house of Judah, the house of my father; and among the sons of my father he took pleasure in me to make me king over all Israel;
5. And of all my sons (for Jehovah hath given me many sons), he hath chosen Solomon my son to sit upon the throne of the kingdom of Jehovah over Israel.
6. And he said unto me, Solomon thy son, he shall build my house and my courts; for I have chosen him to be my son, and I will be his father.
7. And I will establish his kingdom for ever, if he be constant to do my commandments and mine ordinances, as at this day.
8. Now therefore, in the sight of all Israel, the assembly of Jehovah, and in the audience of our God, observe and seek out all the commandments of Jehovah your God; that ye may possess this good land, and leave it for an inheritance to your children after you for ever.
9. And thou, Solomon my son, know thou the God of thy father, and serve him with a perfect heart and with a willing mind; for Jehovah searcheth all hearts, and understandeth all the imaginations of the thoughts: if thou seek him, he will be found of thee; but if thou forsake him, he will cast thee off for ever.
10. Take heed now; for Jehovah hath chosen thee to build a house for the sanctuary: be strong, and do it.